With school out, summer is filled with fun activities and new freedoms for teens, such as learning to drive a car. However, keeping teen drivers safe from harm can be a big concern for parents, especially with summer being the deadliest time of year for teenage motor fatalities. That’s why we wanted to let you know about steps you can take today to help your teen become a safer driver year round as they approach the driving years.
The tips and resources below may not only keep your teen and others free from harm, but also could save you money on insurance.
· Tip 1: Help your teen become a safer driver by talking openly about your expectations and rules for when they’re behind the wheel, such as never texting or using their cell phones while driving.
– Consider negotiating a Teen Driving Contract that requires your teen to avoid driving dangers, such as texting, driving under the influence and not wearing a seat belt. The NAIC even has a customizable Teen Driving Contract to get you started!
· Tip 2: No matter how safe or prepared you or your teen may be, accidents happen. In the event you or your teen driver is involved in an auto accident, make sure everyone knows what steps to take to stay safe and protect their identities when exchanging information for a claim.
– The NAIC’s free WreckCheck app walks you through what to do — and not do — after an accident. The app helps users collect necessary information on the spot, then immediately emails a report to your home and your insurance agent. The app can be found online at iTunes and Google Play or by searching “NAIC” at the iTunes store or Android market.
· Tip 3: Adding a teen driver to your auto insurance policy can be costly. Make sure both you and your teen driver understand all the insurance implications of how even minor fender-benders can add up.
Insureuonline.org is an unbiased resource to help you and your teen get educated about the risks and insurance implications of unsafe driving.
Teen Driving 101 Infographic
Teen Driving Auto Safety Kit Giveaway!
To help educate you about the insurance implications of unsafe driving, we’d like to present you this giveaway with the chance to win an Auto Safety Kit (approx. $50 value)! The kit includes a first aid kit, booster cables, tow straps, flashlight, reflective triangles and more (contents of the kit may slightly vary from image above)! To enter the giveaway, please follow the instructions provided on the Rafflecopter form. Any comments are welcomed below, but won’t count towards the giveaway. Only entries using the Rafflecopter form will be eligible for prize. Thank you!
Open to residents of the U.S. 18+
expires Friday, July 19, 2013 @ 11:59pm ET
[field name= iframe]
Disclosure: I will be receiving an auto safety kit for sharing this information.