Have leftover Peeps and not sure what to do with them? I generally have a basket brimming with the marshmallow chicks remaining several weeks following Easter that will get as hard as bricks and I just wind up tossing them away, which happens to be incredibly wasteful. This year I’m planning to put the little fluffs to good use and attempt both of these scrumptious spring recipes presented by PEEPS Marshmallow Brand Candies! The very first recipe is for a beautiful PEEPS Lemon Curd Cake using 12 PEEPS dipped in milk or dark chocolate as the topper. The second delightful recipe is for a PEEPS Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake!
PEEPS Lemon Curd Cake
- 4 pkgs (3ct each) PEEPS® (Milk or Dark) Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chicks
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup lemon curd (may substitute lemon pudding)
- 1 container white frosting
- 1 tube white decorating icing with star or flower tip
- 2 Tbsp powdered cocoa
- Zest of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (6-inch) cake pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and lemon juice.
- With electric mixer on low speed, add a small amount of flour mixture to the butter mixture. Next, add a small amount of buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture. Alternate adding small amounts of flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to butter mixture, ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove cake from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place one cake on serving dish. Spread lemon curd on top of cake.
- Place second cake on top of lemon curd on first cake. Cover top and sides of entire cake with white frosting.
- Sprinkle powdered cocoa and lemon zest on sides of cake.
- Place PEEPS® Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chicks on top of the cake, arranging them with the heads facing outward.
- Use star or flower shaped tip to decorate the edges of the cake as desired with white icing.
Makes 1 (2 layer) cake
PEEPS Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake
- 3 pkgs (3ct each) PEEPS Chocolate Mousse Flavored (Milk or Dark) Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chicks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 cups creamy vanilla ice cream
- Place 5 PEEPS Chocolate Mousse Flavored Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chicks on a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler in your oven for 1 – 2 minutes or until charred on top.
- Take out of oven and let cool.
- Pour milk, sour cream and ice cream into a blender. Add the 5 toasted PEEPS Chocolate Mousse Flavored Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chicks and mix for 3 minutes or until well blended.
- Pour milkshake into 4 serving glasses. Top each serving with a PEEPS Chocolate Mousse Flavored Chocolate Dipped Marshmallow Chick.
Makes 4 servings
PEEPS Sunflower Topiary
However, should you be all sugared out and continue to want to squeeze into your favorite pair of jeans try using the leftover PEEPS in a craft, such as this PEEPS Sunflower Topiary. The kiddos will have fun creating the masterpiece made up of 32 PEEPS and black jelly beans. The full instructions and supplies needed on how to make the flower along with other craft ideas can be found at marshmallowpeeps.com .
*Photos and recipes credited to JUST BORN, INC.