California, the Golden State, has many family-friendly places to visit. This western state stretches for almost 900 miles along the Pacific. Starting from the Mexican border, its variegated terrain includes beaches, redwood forests, and the magnificent Sierra Nevada Mountains.
It’s a great place for a family vacation because it has some of the largest cities in the US; the chance to enjoy sun, sand, and surf at its popular beaches; and world-famous theme parks with plenty of rides and attractions.
Your vacation should include planning on doing a variety of things. Check out a few of big cities. Play at the beach. Enjoy rides at a theme park. And go camping at one of the national parks.
Here are some ideas to consider for your family vacation.
Visit the big cities.
Located on the Pacific coast, San Diego is best known for its warm climate, parks, and beaches. The famous San Diego Zoo spreads over Balboa Park. The navy has an active fleet in the city’s deep harbor. The USS Midway, an aircraft-carrier, has been turned into a museum for the public. The city itself is home to artist studios and art galleries, gardens, and museums. The Welk Resort, situated on 450 acres in the North County, is a wonderful place to stay if you plan on many California family vacations over the years because it offers a central location for all your trips around the state. When you think about it, the Welk Resort timeshare cost will save you money over the long run compared to staying at different luxury hotels.
Los Angeles is an immense city in Southern California. The iconic Hollywood sign on the hill testifies to the fact that this is the nation’s film capital. You and your family can book behind-the-scene tours of Warner Brothers, Universal Studios, and Paramount Pictures.
San Francisco located in northern California, is a peninsula that’s surrounded by the Pacific Ocean. This city is known for its winding hilly streets and cable cars, multicolored Victorian houses, and the Golden Gate Bridge. The Transamerica Pyramid in the Financial District is a well-known city landmark. Across the San Francisco Bay is the infamous earlier prison, Alcatraz Island.
Palm Springs, in southern California, is located in the Sonoran Desert. Its architecture hails back to the mid-century themes, and the sunny city is best known for its leisurely lifestyle. Besides enjoying vintage boutiques, restaurants, and design shops, visitors can also enjoy a variety of spas, golf courses, and hot springs. The city has some of the best hotels in the nation.
California, of course, is famous for its beaches, and here are a few of the most popular beaches;
- La Jolla Shores Beach is in northern La Jolla.
- Santa Monica State Beach is south of the Santa Monica Pier and it is north of Venice Beach.
- Coronado Beach got its name because it starts at the Hotel del Coronado. It is also known as Central Beach. It runs north from the famous hotel to Sunset Park.
- Carmel City Beach is on the California Central Coast.
- Moonstone Beach in northern Cambria runs parallel to Highway 1, California. Sandy coves are interspersed with rocky headlands.
- Salt Creek Beach
- Salt Creek Beach Park is in Orange County park at Dana Point.
- Sand Dollar Beach is at the southern Big Sur coast region. It’s midway between Cambria and Big Sur Station.
California rivals Florida when it comes to theme parks.
Some of the biggest, baddest, world-famous theme parks are located in northern California and southern California.
Here are the most popular in northern California:
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo
- Gilroy Gardens (previously known as Bonfante Gardens) in Gilroy
- Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk along the Pacific Ocean.
And here are the most popular in Southern California:
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Universal Studios Hollywood
- The Knott’s Berry Farm
- SeaWorld San Diego,
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park is also considered a theme park because it offers rides and attractions.
There are many wonderful places to enjoy in Northern and Southern California on all your family vacations and you might just need an RV to cover this vast state.