Disclosure: Disney provided me with a product to facilitate this post. The words and opinions expressed in this review are strictly of my own.
Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” just celebrated its 25-year anniversary! The beloved animated classic has achieved numerous awards and was the first animated film to receive an Academy Award nomination for best picture. In 1991 it won two Oscars, including best song (by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman), and best original score (Menken). It was also Disney’s first animated film to appear as a Broadway musical, which ran for 5,464 performances from 1994-2007 and has delighted more than 35 million fans worldwide.
In celebration of the remarkable 25th anniversary, it was released as a new Walt Disney Signature Collection Edition on Digital HD Sept. 6 and Blu-ray Sept. 20. I was able to get my hands on the Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack and have to tell you it is definitely worth adding to your Disney film collection!
[field name= iframe2]
The Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack includes three versions of the film. The first option to play is The Original Theatrical Edition, second is Sing-Along Edition, and the third is the Special Extended Edition where the song “Human Again” is inserted after its removal from the Original Theatrical Edition in 1991 and the bonus feature of watching along with the Audio Commentary is available. Each version has something different to offer fans!
Like with most Disney digitally remastered DVDs, the transfer is near perfect. The Blu-ray 1080p High Definition offers clear and sharp colorful images that just POP from the screen. In fact, it is so clear that you might notice the background appears a bit pixelated. I noticed it a lot during the scene where Maurice is traveling through the woods and encounters the wolves on his way to the castle. It doesn’t take anything away from the experience, but overcritical fans might find it to be a tad distracting. Personally, I think it adds a classic, nostalgic charm to the movie. As far as the 5.1 Dolby Digital, it is flawless and viewers can listen to their favorite “Beauty and the Beast” tracks in crystal clear sound.
The Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack also offers a ballroom of new bonus extras!
BLU-RAY, DIGITAL HD* & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
- Menken & Friends: 25 Years of Musical Inspiration – Get a front-row seat for an intimate discussion between legendary music composers from classic and future Disney films, including Alan Menken (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Aladdin”), Stephen Schwartz (“The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” “Pocahontas”), Kristen Anderson-Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”), Robert Lopez (“Frozen,” Disney’s upcoming “Gigantic”) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (Disney’s upcoming “Moana”). Discover how the composers are personally connected, how they first experienced “Beauty and the Beast” and how they find inspiration for their own films. And watch as they pay tribute to the film’s award-winning music score and the man who has inspired them all—Alan Menken.
- #1074: Walt, Fairy Tales & Beauty and the Beast – Long before “Beauty and the Beast” became the instant classic we know and love, Walt Disney made two attempts—between the 1930s and 1950s—to adapt the famous fairy tale into an animated film. Discover what Walt and his team was dreaming up through Walt’s actual voice recordings, archived artwork, story notes, and learn why the project was sidelined for decades.
- Always Belle – The original voice of Belle, Paige O’Hara, reminisces about earning the role of the beautiful bookworm in “Beauty and the Beast” and recalls how the iconic character changed her life and continues to inspire fans both young and old.
- The Recording Sessions – Go in the recording booth with the cast of Beauty and the Beast and see what went into adding voices to the characters and the lines we know and love.
[field name= iframe]
- 25 Fun Facts About Beauty and the Beast – Disney Channel’s Gus Kamp and Kayla Maisonet host this entertaining countdown featuring little-known fun facts, anecdotes and hidden Easter Eggs (references to Disney animated films and characters) from one of the most cherished animated films of all time.
- “Beauty and The Beast” Sneak Peek – An exciting first look into the live-action re-telling of “Beauty and the Beast,” which refashions the classic characters from the tale as old as time for a contemporary audience, staying true to the original music while updating the score with several new songs.
DIGITAL HD* & DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE:
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include over five hours of bonus material, such as an alternate version of “Be Our Guest” and the “Beauty and the Beast” music video performed by Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, and deleted scenes.
* Bonus features may vary by retailer
The Missing Link
[field name= iframe1]
About Beauty and the Beast
Walt Disney Pictures’ magical animated classic “Beauty and the Beast” captures the magical journey of Belle (voice of Paige O’Hara), an independent and intelligent, modern-day heroine who’s taken prisoner by a hideous beast (voice of Robby Benson) in his castle. Despite her precarious situation, Belle befriends the castle’s enchanted staff—a teapot, a candelabra and a mantel clock, among others—and ultimately learns to see beneath the Beast’s exterior to discover the heart and soul of a prince.
Disney’s live-action film
[field name= iframe3]
On March 17, 2017, audiences will experience the thrilling retelling of the original tale through Disney’s live-action film, “Beauty and the Beast,” in which Emma Watson (“Harry Potter” films) plays Belle and eight-time Oscar® winner Alan Menken returns to recreate his Academy Award®-winning music score.
Ultimate Beauty and the Beast Collection
I absolutely loved the Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack! It is the ultimate collection for Disney Beauty and the Beast enthusiasts. Every time I watch the animated gem I just melt a little inside. It truly never gets old and is timeless. It is one of my favorite Disney movies to watch around the holidays!
Bring it home for the holidays!
The Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary Edition would make the perfect gift this holiday for the Disney fan on your shopping list.
[field name= iframe4]