The in-home release of “Monsters University” on 4-Disc Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, 3-Disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack, 3-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and On-Demand is coming on October 29th, 2013! Packed with hours of all-new monstrous bonus extras, including in-depth behind the scenes features, deleted scenes, the animated theatrical short “The Blue Umbrella” and much more, the hilarious movie is set to scare up laughs in your home in plenty of time for the holidays!
- Campus Life – In depth look at a day in the life of what it is like being the “Monsters University” production crew at Pixar through their eyes.
- Story School – A documentary examining the challenges of creating a prequel, the change in focus from Sulley to Mike, and how gags are developed.
- Scare Games – Closer view of the MU production teams as they go head to head in the mostly playful Pixar Scare Games competitions.
- Welcome to MU – An entertaining look at the Monsters University campus and its development from the perspective of the artists who created each piece of the campus.
- Music Appreciation – A very cool documentary giving a privileged look at Randy Newman’s creative process.
- Scare Tactics – A thrilling display of how the MU animation team worked, such as their process of how they channeled their own monster-selves ultimately creating moments on screen that were humorous, scary and serious, sometimes all at the same time.
- Color and Light –A peek at the making of the colorscripts and how they were realized technically in the final film, while exploring the many levels of technical innovation required to produce such a realistic atmosphere.
- Paths to Pixar – MU Edition – Compelling backstories told by members of the MU crew sharing the challenges they overcame along their paths to Pixar.
- Furry Monsters: A Technical Retrospective – Exploring some of the technical challenges that arose when making “Monsters, Inc.,” and “Monsters University,” such as the difficulties in creating characters that are 20 years younger with tools that are 10 years more advanced.
- Deleted Scenes – Director Dan Scanlon highlights four separate scenes – “Rivalry,” “Recon,” “Movie Night,” and “Drama Class.”
- “The Blue Umbrella” – An animated short film from Pixar Animation Studios, directed by Saschka Unseld and produced by Marc Greenberg that played in theaters in front of “Monsters University.”
- Additional Bonus Features – Audio Commentary, Promo Picks, College Campaign, Theatrical Campaign, Set Flythroughs, Art Gallery and more!
Ever since college-bound Mike Wazowski (voice of Billy Crystal) was a little monster, he has dreamed of becoming a Scarer—and he knows better than anyone that the best Scarers come from Monsters University (MU). But during his first semester at MU, Mike’s plans are derailed when he crosses paths with hotshot James P. Sullivan, “Sulley” (voice of John Goodman), a natural-born Scarer. The pair’s out-of-control competitive spirit gets them both kicked out of the University’s elite Scare Program. To make matters worse, they realize they will have to work together, along with an odd bunch of misfit monsters, if they ever hope to make things right. “Monsters University” bravely explores themes of self-discovery and the revelations that come with growing up.
Joining Crystal and Goodman as part of “Monsters University’s” monstrously talented voice cast are Steve Buscemi (voice of Randy Boggs), Helen Mirren (voice of Dean Hardscrabble), Alfred Molina (voice of Professor Knight), Charlie Day (voice of Art), Sean P. Hayes (voice of Terri Perry), Dave Foley (voice of Terry Perry), Nathan Fillion (voice of Johnny Worthington) and Aubrey Plaza (voice of Claire Wheeler). Featuring a score from recent Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee and award-winning composer Randy Newman (“Monsters, Inc.,” “Toy Story 3“), MU also includes music from Axwell and Sebastian Ingrosso of Swedish House Mafia.
Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray Feature Film = 1.78:1 1080p High Definition
Theatrical Short “The Blue Umbrella:” 2.39:1 1080p High Definition
DVD Feature Film = 1.78:1 – Enhanced for 16×9 Televisions
Blu-ray 3D Film = English 7.1 Dolby True HD Master Audio , English 2.0 Dolby Digital and DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
Blu-ray Feature Film = English 7.1 Dolby True HD Master Audio, English 2.0 Dolby Digital and DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD Feature Film = English 5.1, English 2.0 Dolby Digital and DVS 2.0 Dolby Digital; Spanish (U.S. Only) and French (Canada Only) 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
Blu-ray 3D and Blu-ray Feature Film = English SDH, French and Spanish Subtitles
DVD Feature Film = English SDH; Spanish (U.S. Only) and French (Canada Only) Subtitles
Monsters University Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Review
My family received an advanced copy of the Monsters University Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D for review. The combo pack includes 4-discs, including a Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD, and Digital Copy offering endless ways to watch on smartphone, tablet, TV, and computer. Consisting of approximately 104 minutes of feature running time, Monster University 3D is an impressive visual masterpiece loaded with vibrant colors and outstanding dimension that is full of eye-popping fury monsters.
The clarity of the 3D was amazing, especially the depth of the campus. I actually watched “Freshman Orientation” over and over again because it was incredibly stunning! However, the intensity of the 3D was not overwhelming and fainter throughout, allowing the viewer to keep up with the beautiful use of animation creativity. Yet, certain scenes such as the Toxicity Challenge where the monsters had to run through an obstacle course of glowing urchins, full of monster causing welts, contained the occasional 3D notable pop-out. Not to mention, it was one of the funniest moments of the film. Another fantastic use of 3D imagery was during the final competition celebrating Oozma Kappa’s Scare Game win, as colorful confetti floated down from the sky causing screen protrusions. Those two scenes alone are well worth investing in the 3D purchase. Plus, the crystal clear visual treat of seeing the adorable scary creatures in impeccable fury detail would be a mistake to ignore.
Now to the storyline! Monsters University is a prequel to the beloved Monsters Inc. It takes a trip back in time to look at the relationship between Mike and Sulley before they were actually friends and how they became such good pals. Mike, the one-eyed not so scary little green guy is striving to make his lifelong dream of being a Scarer true through dedication, studying, and calculation. Sully, on the other hand, is a natural born Scarer with frightening roars, but lacks the discipline needed to succeed at MU. The unlikely duo, who are definitely opposites, learn they need each other and eventually become best of buddies. We also get a glimpse of Randy when he was younger and introduced to adorable characters Art, Squishy, Terri & Terry Perry, Don, and Ms. Squibbles (Squishy’s mom). The film is packed with hysterical and heartwarming minutes that will have the entire family laughing and falling in love with the bunch of monster misfits!
The Monsters University Ultimate Collector’s Edition additionally contains tons of entertaining bonus features as well. For instance, the bonus disc contains explanation on how the developers use light and color to illustrate the emotion highs and lows within the film, which was very interesting. Additionally, on the 3D Blu-ray disc there is “The Blue Umbrella,” an animated short film from Pixar Animation Studios. For me, the best part of Pixar’s movies is the animated shorts before the feature presentation and this one does not disappoint. It is a lovely story about an evening blustery commute, where it begins to rain and the city comes alive with awnings, pipes, street signs, and drainpipes. During the travel a blue umbrella becomes smitten with a red umbrella. The adventure gets bumpy, but it ultimately ends happy. The 3D visual effects along with the charming storyline are incredible!
The Monsters University Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack has a suggested retail price of $49.99. Save 30% off the price by pre-ordering the combo pack at Amazon for only $34.99! It would make an excellent gift this holiday season!
- “Like” Monsters University on Facebook: www.facebook.com/PixarMonstersUniversity/info
- Follow Monsters University on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DisneyPixar
- Monsters University Website and Mobile Site: http://disney.go.com/monsters-university/