In 2006 I had an ultrasound that revealed a 3.5cm fluid filled cyst that wouldn’t resolve. I was all set to have it removed until I felt like I just should wait a few more months to see if it would dissolve on its own. My Ca-125 was only 3, had no pain at the time, and I didn’t think something so small would warrant surgery quite yet. Thank GOD I waited, because the gynecologist who was going to operate on me never checked if I was pregnant and sure enough…I was prego with my son and probably would have lost him.
Fast forward, almost 4 years ago when I delivered my precious boy via c-section the cyst was still there. HOWEVER, the obstetrician said it looked like a simple cyst and left it. Sigh…I’m not sure why he didn’t want to remove the cyst. It was about the same size as before and persisted throughout the whole pregnancy.
Back in November 2010 I was having some pain and went in for my yearly exam. The same ob/gyn who delivered my son ordered another ultrasound to check out what was going on. The 3.5 cyst had grown to be 4.4 x 5 cm and still looked just fluid filled without any separations or solid masses. I was told by the technician the doctor would call me after reviewing the results, because he was going to probably want to take it out due to the size. Umm…two weeks later no call from the doctor, so I called his office several times and NO ONE returned my call. I thought he must have just wanted to still keep an eye on it with repeat ultrasounds and he wasn’t calling since no further action needed to be taken.
March 2011 the pain started to increase along with the feeling of being bloated with pressure under my rib cage. I can’t stand or walk without feeling pain in the left side where the cyst is. I’m also getting a hot sensation down my left leg like someone poured hot water down it. This has been happening for MONTHS.
Two weeks ago I called the doctor AGAIN to make another appointment to see what was going on. He informed me that his freaken staff never showed him the prior ultrasound and immediately ordered another one. The transvaginal ultrasound showed the same fluid filled cyst, but now it was 6.3 cm. He then ordered a CA-125 which came back elevated at 49 and wants to do a mini-laparotomy to remove the growth . I’m still waiting for the OVA1 test results and scared to death this is cancer even though the cyst is fluid filled with zero separations. If the test comes back positive he said he won’t do the surgery and wants me to see a gyn oncologist instead. This means more waiting and anxiety of the unknown!
I’m going crazy thinking about having the surgery and having severe panic attacks! Not to mention the pain is driving me crazy and I’m a serious basket case thinking I won’t see me beautiful children grow up.
Anyone out there have any experience with ovarian cysts and the Ca-125? I find out tomorrow the OVA1 test results and have a feeling it will be high because the ca-125 is already elevated. HELP!